Ramblings of a Flower Addict

A blog for one who should, in theory, not have a blog.

Monday, May 08, 2006

What kind of egg is that?

For those of you that have been wondering if I dropped off the face of the earth, rest assured...that is not the case. We have had a few minor "techinical difficulties." The phone service was installed as planned but we only had service for one day before lightening struck the phone lines. So... new lines had to be run. Which of course meant waiting for an opening in Duane's schedule. Satellite internet has proven to be a challenge due to all of the trees surrounding the house so we currently have dial up. That really doesn't concern me, but Mr. Technology is about to have a fit.

There has been much activity on the farm of late, but my most exciting acquisition is 23 Guinnia eggs and 2 goose eggs. The goose eggs were more or less an accident as they just happened to be in the box of guinnia eggs that I was frantically bidding on at the livestock auction last Saturday.
It went something like this...
(my friend Stacye went along for the entertainment)
(me) Hey Stacye. What are you doing today?
(her) Nothing
(me)Want to go to the Livestock auction in Bolivar?
(her)Sure...What are you buying?
(me)I'm looking for guineas.
(her)What's a guinea?
(me)A bird...sort of like a chicken.
(her)Ok...????

Upon arrival...
(me)Let's go look to see if there are any guineas in there (the sale ring)...
(her) Ok
(me)What are those? Are those guineas?
(her)Don't ask me. I didn't even know a guinea was a bird.
(me)Good point. I wonder if I can find some nice old man to ask that won't think I'm stupid.
(Silence on the part of friend Stacye. We'll try not to think about what the silence implied)

(other auction goer) did you see those baby duck? Aren't they cute?!?
(me) sure are! what are those? Are they guineas?
(oag) no...those are pullets
(me) oh...sure...that's right....

(me) well, no guineas. I wonder if they will bring any more in before the sale...
(Stacye) don't know. What do I look for?
(me) well...I really don't remember. I know they are gray.
(more silence from friend Stacye)

(auctioneer) blah, blah, de blah, de blah blah
(me) how much did he say?
(Stacye) heck I don't know!
(me) dang! I shoulda bought em!
(Stacye) What were they?
(me) some kind of chicken.

(me) look! Peacocks!
(Stacye) Wow! They are really pretty!
(me) I should buy those!
(Stacye) Where will you keep them?
(me) Just turn em loose. I wonder what they eat?

(auctioneer) blah de blah, guineas, blah blah blah
(me while frantically waiving my bidders number) here!
(more auctioneer stuff, more bidding)
(auctioneer) sold to number blah blah blah
(me) yeah!
(Stacye) What did you buy?
(me) guinea eggs!
(guy behind me) that's about $200 worth of guineas
(me) really?
(guy) yeah! you have a roosting chicken?
(me, suddenly very concerned) no. guess I'm going to have to get one
(side note. All chickens have already been sold)
(guy) hey! There's something for you to hatch them eggs out in!
(me with hand already in air) here!
(Stacye) What is it?
(me) I don't know yet
(auctioneer) sold to number blah de blah blah
(guy) there! now you can hatch em!

(me) Well Stacye, are you ready to go? (this of course is after they have sold the horses, sheep, and a whole lotta goats) Let's go see what I paid for all of this.

(me on phone) Hi honey! Guess what I bought! 23 guinea eggs and 2 goose eggs. Oh, and an incubator.
nope...really not sure. We'll have to look it up. Yeah...don't really know about that yet either. We'll have to look that up. No, I don't know how long before they hatch. We'll have to look it up.

later at home...

(Duane) how do you put this thing together?
(me) how would I know?

(Duane) do we have a thermometer? It says to maintain a temperature of 100 degrees.
(me) we have a meat thermometer...

(Duane while at Orschlen Farm Supply) Do we need to get some food?
(me) I don't know what they eat
(Duane) maybe they have a book...

More on the guinea fiasco to come....

4 Comments:

Blogger meghann said...

That is so funny, Jennifer! Makes me wonder if the guy who told you to buy the incubator was selling it? lol

4:11 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Keys said...

I guess after reading this post you won't be surprised to hear that I didn't even consider that!
:) Anyway...said eggs are still hanging out at a toasty 100 degrees, being faithfully turned twice a day. Come to think of it, it almost sounds like an egg spa....

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Stacye said...

That was hysterical!! I was laughing so hard I was crying! Now I'm famous - I've made it to a blog!!! Tim didn't see the humor in it though - I guess you just had to be there.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Lorie said...

I went to the Bolivar auction a few weeks ago for the first time. It was a little scary and it looked a lot like I imagine an auction in a 3rd world country would be like.

By the way, you can get day old keets in Springfield. I bought sixteen and have managed to keep 9 alive after 8 weeks. Not bad considering I am a complete city girl. I also bought ten pullets and they made it until the first day I released them - all of them eaten by what I suspect to be chicken hawks. They completely disappeared. Good luck with the hatchlings! They are a lot of fun.

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home