Ramblings of a Flower Addict

A blog for one who should, in theory, not have a blog.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Just put a gate there...please!?!

I love my husband. You all know that I do. However, I am finding that fence building is more of a strain on our marriage at least than all of the other (supposedly) stressful things that married couples go through. (moving, buying a new house, changing jobs, etc)

While deciding what the layout of the fence will be we must obviously decide where gates should go. Now I am all for saving money, but I also know the frustration of trying to move animals around in pens that are not set up correctly. Duane believes that we should only need 2 gates...one for each pasture. I, on the other hand, know that when you are trying to get a halter on an unbroke yearling, or a difficult calf in a trailer, you always need a gate or a fence where there isn't one. So, my logic is to install a couple more "just in case" gates. It would be darn difficult to add a gate after the fact. So when Duane asks where I want the gates and I tell him, we usually get into a "why there?" discussion. Which is never won by either of us. I usually tire of the debate long before Mr. "plan it out on the computer" can see documentable evidence proving the need for a gate in just that location....sigh....

On another subject...
I have found my dream horse. Really. Like the horse of all horses that I thought I could never, ever afford. He is a 6 year old Thoroughbred. Retired from the track and lives in Hilliard, OH at New Vocations TB Rescue ranch. Basically, they take in TB's that didn't make it on the track and try to find new lives and jobs for them. It really is a great program and one that I can't wait to be able to support. I have to be realistic about our space constraints so have decided that I really should have no more than 5 of my own. I already have one (that will be moving to our place as soon as the fence is up) and have talked to a lady in AR about a TB mare that she wants to lease out for a year, so that leaves room for 3more! Hilliard is quite a haul and there are some safety precautions that you must take with these ex-track horses so it may be a while before we get any. Meanwhile I'm scheming schemes and planning plans....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home