Ramblings of a Flower Addict

A blog for one who should, in theory, not have a blog.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Classic Fino Por Favor

I went to the Paso Fino show at the Ozark Empire Fairgrounds today. I have ridden a Paso Fino, but it was a long time ago and I really didn't learn much about them. My impression was of a very collected gaited horse that was on the small side. My impression was correct, but there is much more to learn. One thing I was reminded of is that no matter the discipline or style, a good horse is still a good horse and vice versa. Once I understood the different classes, it was pretty easy most of the time to pick out the order the horses would place. Of course as in all judging, some of the classes were much closer and harder to pick. It did make me wish that I had stayed in horse judging at MSU! That is a job I would enjoy!

For those that don't know, the "classic" fino is a gate in which the horse has a lot of animated motion, but has very little forward movement. One of the people that I struck up a conversation with told me that less than 5% of the Paso Fino horses can achieve the collection necessary to perform that gait.

Anyway, long story short....now I wouldn't mind to have a Paso Fino. :)

Although the bleachers did get excruciatingly hard, it was an enjoyable and educational day. The only regret is that I didn't get to ride. At every horse event I go to I end up wanting to grab at least one of the horses and take it for a spin. Maybe next year....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home