Ramblings of a Flower Addict

A blog for one who should, in theory, not have a blog.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Native Trees

I really am so predictable....
Thanks to the new blogs that Duane has found as a result of his new blog "Geek Acres", I found that you can purchase native trees from the Missouri Conservation department at a very reasonable price. Since the two trees that I wanted to line the drive with are native, I ordered 50 flowering dogwood and 50 redbud. 100...trees....

Now, if you have been reading my previous posts, or even talking with me occasionally, you will know that I am very concerned about the drought that is affecting SW MO. Believe it or not, Walnut Grove is in even worse shape than Springfield. The last two rains that we received here, completely missed the farm. Not good news.
In addition, we just found out that we would have to hire a backhoe operator to dig the holes for the dog fence at the farm because the ground is too hard for a tractor with no down pressure.

Back to previous announcement...
I have 100 holes to dig and prepare for the 100 trees that I will be receiving in May from the Missouri Conservation department. (see the problem?)
Of course, I can't bear to see any plants go to waste, so they all must be planted as soon as possible upon arrival.

One would have thought that I could have waited until next fall or even spring to order the trees...but hey, why put off until tomorrow what you can do today. Right?

Keep in mind that I have been very concerned about getting everything done that must be done for us to move in, but I have still added 100 holes to my list of things to do.

Sometimes even I wonder about my logic! :)

Ah well...what would I do without a project to worry about?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Hal at Ranch Ramblins said...

Your driveway will look beautiful when the trees are mature. There is a part of Hwy 412 down here in Arkansas that has a miles-long section lined with a mix of redbuds and dogwoods. If you drive that section of road during the short time that the redbuds and dogwoods are simultaneously flowering, you will swear that you are in the prettiest spot on earth!

If the seedlings from the Conservation Dept. in Missouri are anything like the ones from the Arkansas Forestry Commission, a spade and maybe a digging stick (also called a Texas Toothpick, rock bar, etc.) are probably all you need, as the seedlings are not that large. You might check with Pablo, as he has lots of experience with this.

Regarding the backhoe: We are in a rocky soil area like you are. The commercial fencing companies around here use a post-hole auger, or if that won't work, a jackhammer. Two men, a jackhammer and a clam shell shovel will dig a lot of deep holes in a day, even in our rock-strewn soil. To dig a 36" deep hole with a backhoe would leave a pretty large trench to be filled with concrete. It seems like overkill to me.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Duane Keys said...

Jennifer was mistaken, we don't need a backhoe, we need a skidsteer with an auger. The skid steer hydraulics work downward and can put pressure on the auger, unlike a tractor.

However, I think I'm going to take the wood posts back and get metal poles and we'll have them driven into the ground.

4:15 AM  
Anonymous hal at ranch ramblins said...

Duane, it sounds like you have the best solution of all!

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home