Ramblings of a Flower Addict

A blog for one who should, in theory, not have a blog.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Geek Acres

Duane has created a new post entitled "Geek Acres" The plan is to tell of the transition of a city geek to a county geek. In true Duane fashion it is bound to be entertaining. Of course, as he does with some of my posts, I must chime in on some of his, expanding on his version of the story and giving detail that he leaves out.

Having said that, I must expand on his last post about ticks. In that post he stated that he was "infested" and that it did not make for a "happy geek." Now I have to admit that I don't like ticks either, but previously mentioned "city geek" has some conditioning to go on the whole tick issue.
While traveling back from the farm I told the "boys" (Duane's cousins Blake and Aaron) to be sure to check for ticks and that if you find one that has attached, the still hot end of a recently blown out match applied to the back end of said tick will encourage it to back out of your hide.

Apparently "city geek" was listening to this exchange because as soon as we got home I head him yelling "honey! Bring a match!" from the bathroom.

Now there are many things that you hear throughout your life that may be truth and may be wivestales. For example, I have always heard to run cold water with your garbage disposal. Don't know why hot won't work, but hey...there may be a reason...

Anyway, maybe the match thing is the same way. I applied the still hot end of the recently blown out match to said rear end of attached tick and although he did wave his little legs around frantically, I really don't know if it helped make him easier to unattach or not.
Long story short, I still had to pluck him from "city geeks" behind.

I am convinced that this is true love. When you combine two pretty unpleasant things, namely ticks and dirty, been working in the heat and sweating all day behind, it certainly would be a combination that any clear thinking "city girl" would avoid. But in true "country girl" fashion, pluck I did.

I am quite certain that there will be many more of these amusing stories to share. Stay tuned for the next episode....

3 Comments:

Blogger meghann said...

OMG! That is truly love, Jennifer ;)

3:23 PM  
Anonymous gay said...

Doesn't matter whether you run hot or cold water through the disposal. Live dangerously! Try hot for a change.

You adventures at GeekPalace are too much! Thanks for shating.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Country Girl said...

Hmmm, Jennifer, a match won't do it. You've got to have a lit cigarette to get the ticks to let go.

Try finding a lit cigarette in this day and age of non-smokers. :)

If you pluck a tick, there's a good chance his little head (gross) is still stuck under the skin. Now I'm not entirely sure, but leaving their heads in there (they're very tiny - often can't see them) can cause a disease (like Lyme's or Parkinson's - again I can't remember).

At any rate, don't yank them out. I've poured nail polish remover (or gasoline) over them and they let go. Just don't get that stuff next to your lit match - tee hee.

5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home